degcoast wrote:
Anyone know any data on longevity of the3.2 CDI ? Any issues with that?
Weren't they sold in Europe before being imported here a  year or so ago?
TIA,
Dwight

Dwight Giles
1979 240D auto 244k + miles
1990 300D 2.5t 127K miles
Wickford, RI

The 4, 5 and 6 cylinder versions of the CDI engines are in their 2nd or 3rd generation now. They have been available in Europe since the mid/late '90s. I would NOT be concerned about the mechanical issues - from the reports I read, the engines are quite durable and are likely to last a great many hundreds of thousands of miles, but they may NOT age well. I would be much more concerned about the durability or longevity of the electrical systems that control the entire injection/emissions systems - and am skeptical that they will last much more than 10 years. If you are driving 20+kmi a year, then a CDI diesel might be an ideal choice. If you are driving closer to 10kmi a year, I'd be afraid that the electronics and chassis will fail LONG before you've worn out the engine.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)