The Corvair had two lethal problems, one by design and one by pure idiocy, I think --

to whit: the swing axle rear end was not protected against jacking, so at very high side loads the outside rear wheel could aquire so much camber that the rim would dig into the pavement. The resultant rollover combined with the totat lack of roof strength usually killed the passengers as their heads hit the pavement via the roof. This was avoided in the original design by a hook in the frame so that the control arm wouldn't travel that far, but Ed Cole demanded that it be removed because it cost $1.50 per car over leaving it off. It cost the executives at GM a lot more than that, all told, to bury the kids they had that rolled them, as every executive that had a teen driver got them a Corvair, and several were maimed or killed.

The other idiocy, and I don't know if it was by design or just plan not looking, was that the steering column was solid, and the steering box was IN FRONT of the front axle. This was the preferred location for GM steering boxes until the Feds made them move them back in 1969. Naturally, a beer can has more structural rigidity than a 60's GM product, so the predictable result of hitting anything in the Corvair was that the steering wheel shot out of the dash and upwards, neatly breaking the driver's neck. This design "feature" was present up to 1969 when the collapsable steering column was installed, hopefully preventing any more unnecessary deaths.

Fortunately, even the Japanese have figured out crash safety, so we can drive at the ridiculous speeds we do and not risk instant death in an accident (unless driving a US made SUV).

Peter