I don't drive the car much anymore, so it sits a lot between short trips.
The steering fluid definately drips off from somwhere behind or underneauth
the PSP. Everithing I can see is dry, including the steering gear box.
I heard somewhere that there is a cover plate on the backside of the pump
with an o-ring seal. Is this a common issue?
How can one determine if it's the rack seals?
On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Dan Weeks <theprofil...@dwx.com> wrote:

> On Dec 28, 2009, at 6:00 AM, mercedes-requ...@okiebenz.com wrote:
>
> I have a quite bad leak on the PSP (goes empty in less than 100miles).
>> Hoses and connections appear dry. Pulley is dry.
>> Fluid drips on ground is just inside of left front wheel. ???
>>

> Hans:
>
> I have the same car, same leak. It's steering rack seals. Fortunately, mine
> is much slower--every 1,000 miles or so I need to top up the reservoir. It
> is much worse if I don't drive the car for a while, however. I'm just living
> with mine. Has your car sat for a long time? If so, driving it may help.
> Last resort short of a rebuilt rack is to try some lucas power steering
> fluid. It will swell the seals enough to stop the leak for a while, and then
> they will fail catastrophically later. At least such was my experience when
> I used the stuff on my Merkur Scorpio.
>
> Dan
> 82 300SD, 323k

Hans Neureiter, Houston, TX