In my 37 years as a mechanical engineer, I've seen a number of collapsed
tanks.  But I don't think I have ever seen a collapsed railroad tanker.
A tank may have a considerable pressure rating, but if it was not designed
for vacuum by stiffening rings and other techniques, it could have very
little vacuum strength.

Most frequent cause of such a failure is in a tank that contains liquids
emitting water vapor on a sub-zero day.  The vent line ices shut and and
when an operator pumps the tank out, it collapses.  In a similar situation,
some tanks have an overflow nozzle at the top that is piped down to the
ground.  If the secondary containment dike around the tank fills with
precipitation deeper than the end of the overflow line, that tank can
collapse when it is pumped.

Most surprising incident I've seen was a million gallon tank that contained
a water slurry approaching boiling temperature.  That tank had an open 24
inch manway on the top.  An inexperienced plant operator inadvertently
turned on a cool water spray in the tank ceiling.  The sudden condensing of
water vapor caused the top of that tank to crinkle like a beer can.

Ned