The Frankenheap warms up noticeably faster in sub-freezing
temps if I cover the radiator.  If I forget and leave it
covered up and the temps get up to freezing, the car will
overheat.  I do it because it warms faster, the lack of that
cold air blast over the sippy little engine helps it warm up.

But for me it's a speed thing, if the thermostat (and housing
which it mates against) are in good shape the car will hit and
maintain its proper temperature, at least down to maybe sub-zero
ambient temperatures.  This is true of the Frankenheap.

The argument against partially blocking the radiator is that
the uneven air flow flexes the fan, which can eventually cause
blades to break off.  This is particularly an issue on old
Chevies with their steel fan blades, or so I recall.  I'm
ignoring it, partly because I spend so little time on the
freeway.

-- Jim