It seems like bio folks would probably want a slightly higher rated thermostat but I can see that causing problems when switching to diesel...

No.  What you need is to cure the slop/leakage in
the system, not change the set point of the regulator.

Somebody else caught what I'd forgotten, not covering the whole swept area of the fan causes fan fatigure. Big truck fans are massive pieces of kit...

Or remove the fan altogether (in the winter) on these 200
series engines.  Bet it isn't needed!  Then use just the
right amount of cardboard and worry not about fan fatigue.

So... Considering all of that the best solution I can think of actually comes from antique tractors... Back in the day tractors had therosiphon cooling systems with no thermostat. Temp was controlled with shutters over the radiator so when it was cold you'd close the shutters and as engine temp rose you'd open them. It'd be exceptionally slick to rig up something similar that was thermostatically controlled.

You mean like the thermostatically-controlled 'shark gill'
vents in the lower engine compartment of my SDL?

-- Jim