Mac, because:

1) No xW-30 (or thinner) oil is allowed in any MB engines

2) With synthetics, there is no need for super-thin oils in winter.
Even the 15W-50 weight of Mobil-1 will allow better starting than most
any xW-30 dino oil.

3) I can't imagine anywhere in the USA where an engine wouldn't cold
start with Mobil-1 5W-40 in the crankcase.

4) Thinner oils, IMO, do more for fuel economy than engine longevity.
Some folks who did oil analysis noticed wear metals increases
significantly with Mobil-1 0W-40 in the crankcase, and the metals went
back to 'normal' when the oil was switched back to 5W-40 or 15W-50.
YMMV, etc...

-Dave M.