I've heard a number of stories about oil consumption being higher at the max mark, and in fact a friend of mine got a 300D cheap because of this --= the PO was convinced it had a terrible engine problem because it was using more than a quart/1000 miles -- he kept it topped up in spite of the advice my friend (his mechanic, no less) gave him. When Hans got it, he just waited until the oil level got to the minimum mark, as pre usual -- no oil added until the next change was due! The half quart or so just under the Max mark burned off very quickly, then it didn't use any more....

Overfilling will also cause the crank to slap the oil the in pan -- this usually results in a failed crankshaft if it persist any significant length of time -- usually the oil gets foamed out the and into the engine first, where it can cause hydrolock. You would probably have to add several quarts over the max mark for this to happen, though.

Peter