Speaking of low voter turnout, our county recently had a vote on a tax to pay for a new court house. The old one was built in the 30's, and has been remodeled several times in the past. It could stand to have some work done to it, maybe expand it a little. So, the vote for this tax is to pay for tearing down the old one and building a new one. It passed. Out of 50K registered voters in the county, less than 3000 voted.

LarryT wrote:
You wrote "Only land owners with a high school graduation B+ should be allowed to vote"

Oh man, couldn't agree more! The Motor Voter law was a huge mistake IMHO. If people can't be bothered to use a little energy to seek out the Voter Registration Agency and become a registered voter then they shouldn't be allowed to vote! Same with using a little energy to find and visit a local voting booth on the appropriate day and cast your vote for the person of your choice.

Making it so easy that it becomes a click of a mouse demeans the process IMO. It's he most important thing we do to maintain democracy and it doesn't need to be placed on automatic.

I dislike low voter turnout as much as the next guy but it's a personal decision to vote/not vote. People must be made to appreciate the things others have done to guarantee our right to vote. Just adding names to the voter rolls doesn't make people realize the importance of voting in general and *their* vote in particular.

LarryT
91 300D

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK