R A Bennell wrote:
So, do you ever wonder if you should stop driving cars before they fall apart?
You are lucky the Honda incident did
not kill you and some poor guy in the oncoming lane.

The car had been repainted before I bought it, and AFAIK at the time it was rust-free. I'd owned it a little more than a year when this happened, it had been parked for a while after I bought the Saab. I don't know what happened to the subframe, it was totally solid except around the socket for the left torque link. IIRC, the battery was on the right side. Fortunately I was stopping for a red light when it did the spontaneous left turn, so no actual traffic. I think I got a foot or two over the yellow line before I wrestled it back to the right. I got another subframe at the scrapyard and drove it occasionally for another five years with no further structural problems.

Mitch.