I think you really have to be careful with older Honda and Toyota cars. Not
sure about other imports as I have no
real direct experience with them. We had a 88 Honda Accord that was clean and
low mileage but the rust was a bit
scary. There were holes in the floor and the rocker panels were not good.
Unfortunately with these unibody cars,
stuff like that matters. I have also talked to people who have had the strut
come through the hood because the
strut tower was totally rusted out.

I like to bang on stuff with a hammer to see if there is still metal behind the
undercoating. Sometimes I don't
like what I find but I would rather know when I am parked in the garage than on
the road.

Should not just pick on the imports either though. We had an 86 Taurus that
caused trouble too. My wife was driving
home from work for lunch (a little more than a mile to our house from her work)
and the car made a strange noise
but continued to drive OK. On her way home after work that same day, it made
the noise again and then did not steer
quite right. She nursed it home and into the garage. Both of the rear bolts on
the subframe - cradle - whatever you
want to call the thing that holds the drivetrain to the body had rusted and
broken off. She was lucky it did not
disconnect the steering shaft from the rack. In any event, I went to the dealer
and they cheerfully told me that
happened all the time and there was a retrofit kit of heavier components with
galvanized washers etc. Sure wish
Ford would have told us before it broke. Cannot imagine what might have
happened had she been on a highway at speed
and hit a bump. It was an easy fix but the whole thing gave me the heaby
jeabies (sp?)

Randy