couldn't find where he might have said that, but found this from Herr Marshall:

Transmision fluid is NOT an ideal diesel engine/fuel system tonic. There are many good ones (Diesel Purge is VERY good and I've used it effectively in the fuel filter - but there are better methods of application). I doubt that an occasional dose of ATF in the filter will do any lasting damage and it MIGHT do a little good, but regular use of it in fuel (which MANY truckers endorse) will result in injector nozzle coking. Mercedes warns against adding ATF to the fuel system and prohibits it's use. Marshall
--

cheers!

Allan Streib wrote:
As I recall, Marshall used to sanction a quart of ATF in a tankful of
diesel to help with .... carbon removal?  Can't quite recall.

Allan
--
1983 300D