I decided that it's time to change the oil in the 300E - therfore the filter
needs to be changed at the same time ( first time for me on this car). I
found the oil filter - in approximately the same location it is on the OM60x
engines. However, it's a small diameter screw-on filter, almost under the
massive air filter. How do you get the oil filter off? I'm thinking of
making a right-angle drive belt wrench from an old deep socket slotted for a
piece of leather belt so I can use a ratchet and extension to turn it.

The alternator died in the '92 300D, so I decided it was time to install the
115 amp alternator I bought from a previous list member a while ago. I had
to splice in ring connectors instead of using the plug - hard to reach and
solder heavy wire from under the car, but do-able (done).

My daughter took the car into the far end of OKC today (30 miles) - calls me
this evening saying the car is dead, come get me. I found the car with the
belt shreaded, only one strip about a 1/4 inch wide still in place, the rest
wrapped between the fan clutch and the water pump pulley. All the pulleys
seem to turn freely, but the one on the alternator wobbles 20 to 30 degrees.
I can't tell yet whether the nut on the shaft is loose, ro the alternator
bearings are gone. I'll have to find an alternator and replace it in the
parking lot (Macaroni Grill) - hopefully tomorrow.
I guess this is waht happens when you install a used alternator instead of
buying a Bosch re-built unit. I don't need those extra amps as bad as I
thought I did! (Preparing for a  mobile ham radio that I don't own yet).

--
OK Don
Panic! (the national past time).