The original sales material touted the "feature" that the rigid cage
in the Smart was designed to activate the crumple zones in the car you
hit.  That means that under the BEST conditions, you will experience
at least twice the impact force during an accident. Under most
conditions it will be much more than that. Every accident is unique,
but that does not put the odds in your favor.

-Dave Walton