The trapped GP in the 95 E300D was removed by running the engine under load, IIRC. Seems that it had happened before while the car resided in CA, and the shop may have cross threaded the new GP on install. It carboned itself into the #6 spot again, so when SWMBA took it to be fixed, they got the other five out, but had a devil of a time with #6. They reamed and cleaned the other five, installed and then took the car for a drive up a hill or two. They had built a wooden surround with 2x on the end. Blasted it out and towed the car back to the shop to get the threads put back in shape. Had a vac in the injector hole while reaming and rethreading.

clay

On Jan 21, 2010, at 3:06 PM, R A Bennell wrote:

I wonder if some vibration would help? Would the carbon be hard enough to crack if one could vibrate the plug? Impact wrench or perhaps some homemade or modified tool in an air hammer. Vibrate it a bit but not so hard as to
damage something else.

Alternatively - heat. Is there enough room to warm it up good with a torch without hurting anything else?

Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]on Behalf Of John Reames
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:19 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT '95 E300 project - OM606 fun (was oscope)

I am not convinced that proper driving habits have much effect, nor am
I convinced that penetrating oil applied on the threaded end of the gp
will help

I've had one snap off.  I drive ... Well let's say I would get in far
too much trouble with any sort of V8 MB (and leave it at that)...

I'd been applying penetrating oil for days, along with turning it
through the 1/4 turn that it could move... It started to move, turned
maybe 2-3 turns, then
it snapped.  When using a puller (with a ball-bearing thrust washer),
quite a bit of torque was required to extract the remains.  The
remains vociferously protested extraction, fighting the whole way and
screaming in a manner that nails on a blackboard can only dream about...

--
John W Reames
jwrea...@comcast.net

On Jan 21, 2010, at 7:08, "Dillon, Meade M CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-ATLANTIC,