jwrea...@comcast.net
Home: +14106646986
Mobile: +14437915905

On Jan 22, 2010, at 8:19, "LarryT" <l02tur...@comcast.net> wrote:

With the remains out, does it appear to be a carbon build-up problem that caused it to be so hard to remove?

Altho it sounds like your driving style should work to keep carbon from forming - assuming you're driving far and fast enough to blow any carbon out.

I mentioned it before - and I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record - my 91 300D had severe carbon buildup - when cold (< 50F) it would start but blow white smoke and have no power to accelerate. I used several treatments of Ferox - a chemical specifically to help carbon break down - and turned my wife loose to drive 110 mi RT to work each day at 65-70 mph 99% of the trip. After a month - no more problems, after several months I believe the engine is clean as a whistle.

What I'm trying to say, merely driving in a spirited fashion isnt enough to break down carbon or prevent it forming - it must be a combination of speed heat and distance IMHO,

BTW, the above was based on a Marshall diagnosis IIRC. Pretty sure he was the one to suggest carbon buildup as the problem.

Later ya'll -
LarryT
91 300D

OilAnalysis Time?
Looking for Weber Parts or Porsche Posters?
www.youroil.net

From: "Dillon, Meade M CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-ATLANTIC,53310" <meade.m.dil...@navy.mil >
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2010 7:45 AM
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT '95 E300 project - OM606 fun (was oscope)

John,

Thanks for that data. Tell me more about this puller - if the day ever
comes I'd like to know all my options.

Was there any warning before it snapped? When the other five came out, did you think there was risk of those breaking as well? In other words, will I be able to know when I have a problem BEFORE it becomes a bigger
problem...

-Max