My neighbour has a 528 with about 280,000 kms on it.  He bought it new, and
it's been a dealer serviced car.  It required a trans rebuild not long ago,
which was the biggest expense so far, but he's spent a pretty large sum of
money over the past 10 years keeping it up.  It does look and drive great
still.

They are great cars, but not cheap to run.  Then again, if you took a
Mercedes to the dealer for everything, they wouldn't be cheap to run either,
even an old diesel.  I know, a friend had an old 300D from the 70s and he
showed me the service file once.  Best part of 25 years ago, the servicing
costs had exceeded the original cost of buying the car new.

Everything being equal, which it never is, a 7 will probably cost more to
run in the long run if you hold onto it than a 5, as the 7 is top of the
range, and parts are priced accordingly.  But when you factor in much lower
miles on the 5 than your 7, who knows.  The basic mechanical bits on most
BMWs are very good, but like similar aged Mercedes counterparts, it's often
the little things that start to go, which add up the cost of ownership, to
put right.  Many ppl get tired of shelling out money for those fixes, so
they are neglected, and before long, the cars, both BMW and Mercedes have a
long list or repairs.  Once a car has crossed over into the dark side, who
knows, buying one is as much luck as anything, as you don't really know just
what has been neglected or what work deferred.

If it were me, and I liked what I had, and knew it's flaws, I'd stick with
it and service it as required.  Sounds like your 7 has treated you quite
well so far.

Good luck,

Ed
300E