Ed wrote: "Everything being equal, which it never is, a 7 will probably cost
more to run in the long run if you hold onto it than a 5, as the 7 is top of
the range, and parts are priced accordingly.  But when you factor in much lower
miles on the 5 than your 7, who knows.  The basic mechanical bits on most BMWs
are very good, but like similar aged Mercedes counterparts, it's often the
little things that start to go, which add up the cost of ownership, to put
right . . . If it were me, and I liked what I had, and knew it's flaws, I'd
stick with it and service it as required.  Sounds like your 7 has treated you
quite well so far."

I just bought the 5 series.  I got it for $7,000.  That is $2900 below Nada
Trade in Value and $5000 below retail) and between $1500-1900 below Kelly Blue
Book private party value.

Now both the 7 series and the 5 series go up for sale.  I couldn't make my mind
up about which one to sell, so I will let "the market" decide. (I secretly want
the 7 series to sell first because it has 100,000 more miles on it than the 5
series.  That way, I get a newer car that is likely more reliable and worth
more than the other!)

Donald H. Snook