I'll provide some incite.  I am a hospital administrator.  I work on the
physician practice side.  In our Emergency room 65% of ER visitors have a
Cat Scan.  Is it necessary - really no.  It is medicine dictated by
Lawyers.  The ER doc has to order a CT cause if the patient feels bad in 24
hours, instead of returning to our ER they go the the other hospitals ER,
and get a CT cause if the symptoms have not dissipated in 24 hours, this is
the standard of care.  This may happen on 1/2 of 1 percent of the cases, but
then the patient didn't get the "standard of treatment" at our hospital and
sues.  Even if the case is dismissed costs us 10K just the have the attorney
write a couple of letters.  That's whats wrong with our medical system and
that is what drives the costs up through the roof.  I hope Donald will
provide some insight.  I know he defends hospitals on cases like this.
Often we are forced to settle out of court just to keep away from the
expense of a trial.  While I don't know the figures, I suspect that if we
removed all insurance companies, both malpractice and health ins.  we could
all have resonably priced access to healthcare.