I agree to a point.  We have a programable tstat and set it to drop at night
to 60 degrees from the usual 68.  That has saved us about 20% on our bill in
a decently insulated 50 year old home with new windows.  I certainlyl dont'
think it works to heat the house in the morning - drop it for the day turn
it up for the evening then drop for the ngiht, to many hot cold cycles.