He was 21. I almost remember being 21. At that age, you feel invincible. I
have hiking boots older than him.

As a motorcycle rider, I find some dark humour in the fact that his helmet
didn't save him. (No helmet laws in Iowa.)

All that said, it is very sad. He had to be a very good athlete to get to
this level of competition, and a wrong swing of the hips in a turn cost him
his life.

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 4:53 PM, R A Bennell <b...@mts.net> wrote:

> I suspect they are now working on that. Probably did not expect bodies to
> fly that high if an accident occured.
> Tragic but a dangerous occupation and although he was young, I suppose he
> knew it was such. Got to feel for his
> family and friends who were no doubt thrilled that he was going to be in
> the Olympics.
>
> Randy

When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers. -- Oscar Wilde