Got the steering box replaced last night. Was easier than I was fearing, but still a hassle since I'm way out of shape and my left arm is weak from the accident (and my failure to strengthen it up).

Took about 3.5 hours, but this includes replacement of drag link and right tie rod (did the left one earlier) and a new steering damper. I think the drag link and tie rod may have been OK, but it's too cheap to risk beating a new one to death by leaving old ones of unknown condition in place.

The box is HEAVY for a fat old man lying on a creeper on the floor -- I suspect it might be easier on a lift. It would be much easier if you can hold 60 lbs in one hand for an hour or so....

Key points:

Everything is keyed, so you can't get it in way off center. The coupler has a square for the column side, with a notch for the bolt. There is a notch on the other side for the bolt, too, so you can't get it on wrong. Ditto for Pitman arm. You should measure the distance from the lower bearing on the pitman arm, as it can be moved up and down a bit, but it won't go on wrong.

The bolt for the column side requires a LONG extension (at least 12", more is better), but it's not bad. The coupling came of very easily, and the box comes out the bottom easily. We used an impact wrench on the three frame to box bolts, it's not easy to reach them otherwise without a long extension, and that's too floppy.

Going back in, you MUST put the bolt in the upper coupler hole BEFORE you put the bolts holding the box to the frame, as it's impossible to push the column into the coupler once the box is bolted on.

I suppose one person can do this if you have a lift, but it took three of use (my brother holding the box up with a loop of rope, me guiding things on the floor, and my nephew putting the bolts in). One the floor, it's not possible to hold the box up AND reach the bolts, although on a lilt I think you could.

It drives like a new car, even though I don't have the alignment done yet (very close, doesn't pull at all but the wheel is crooked). I had forgotten how quiet a W124 is supposed to be, no tire or suspension noise on normal roads unless actually hitting a bump or hole. No wander, no crosswind sensetivity, it's great.

I just wish I'd done this a couple years ago!

Now I need to do all the links and mounts in the back and put an evaporator in.....

Peter