[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a line on a 1982 240D that I may be interested in.  It has a turbo on
> it.  Owner who is the original says it was put on I believe after market.

We discussed one on eBay a couple of months ago. I don't recall if it met
its reserve and sold or not, but if it did, it would be interesting to know
why it's on the market again.

> 1.  Any one have experience with this please.

Kits were done up by both Callaway Turbos and Atlanta Stuttgart Auto Parts
(aka ASAP, Dave Quay), which is no longer in business. ASAP went a bit cold
on the whole idea after a year or two as they had too many complaints of
engines failing after the conversion. They started restricting it to VERY
low mileage engines only, Dave told me way back when but I forget just now.

> 2.  Was the four banger designed to allow and run properly witht his type of
> adder.

Technically speaking, no. The Mercedes turbodiesels have extra oiling for
the pistons, IIRC the crank is specially treated as well.

Also, unless the pump was removed and recalibrated "up" to compensate for
the additional fuel demand from the turbocharging, the engine will be
under-fueled and will run a danger of damage due to running lean/hot. If
this is indeed the original owner, he should be able to produce evidence of
this on a work order.

> I do not believe it was offered from the German factory but was put on later
> in 1982 as a kit?

Correct, there is no such thing as a factory turbodiesel 240d Mercedes.
(There is a 240td in European markets, but don't forget that the "T" in the
TD designation means "touring", not turbo.)

Mac
Aylmer, Quebec
'60 220s / '82 240d (x2) / '82 300sd