I have recently purchased a 240D (W123 1983) and have noticed that the car
is very hard to get moving after sitting a long time, like first thing in
the morning. I can get her started, and she'll idle, but as soon as I apply
load (shift the transmission into gear) she pretty much dies. Now, the key
for the manual choke broke off, and I've got the thing twisted as far as I
believe I can counter clockwise. It's hard to move it to the left though, so
not sure, turn clockwise far easier.

However, after I get her convinced to move anymore than about 100 feet.
She's fine. Stop at signs and lights under load and start back up again
without any real problem. She idles real rough while at stop, in gear
though. But she's my first diesel so I might just not be used to the engine
characteristics.

Any ideas?

EdB