I thought a normal cause of vent line failure was some kinda critter nesting in the thing...

--
John W Reames
jwrea...@comcast.net

On May 8, 2010, at 17:32, OK Don <okd...@gmail.com> wrote:

Got a chance to check out the car this afternoon - the EGR valve responds with a snap when you open it with the mity-vac then pull the tube off. The intake valve flap actuator responds smoothly to vacuum. I found one vacuum tube loose and splitting where it connects to the controlling valve that
feeds the ERG valve.

I also found and removed the fuel tank vent valve - and heard a gentle
whooshing when I pulled it off the hose. It seems to be open in both
directions once it was off of the car - mity-vac in either pressure or
suction puller air through freely. The vent tube comes directly out of the bottom of the tank in the '92 300D - not external tubes other than filler,
and the feed/return lines.

I decided to leave it off the car - wrapped a piece of latex tubing into a 360 degree loop, and put it in place of the vent valve. It should stay open all the time, and should at least slow down stuff trying to get into the
tank.

I'll fill it up, and see what happens next ---

--
OK Don
Panic! (the national past time).