Our HOA isn't bad - certainly not as bad as the one in Florida was.

If it wasn't for having to write them a check once a year, I wouldn't even know
we had one....

Dan

Sent from my iPod

On May 26, 2010, at 8:12 PM, "Kaleb C. Striplin" <ka...@striplin.net> wrote:

I will never live anywhere with a HOA

LWB250 wrote:
Heh.  The tax situation just keeps getting better around here....
When we bought the house the taxes were around $9k annually, due to the most
recent assessment taking place at the top of the boom (when the house was
appraised at around $460k.)
The finished basement was gutted when we took possession, causing me to
challenge the assessment and get a good $2k knocked off, bringing the taxes
down to around $7k annually.
Then the house was reassessed last year, with a market value (by the assessor)
of around $375k, which brought the taxes down to around $5k.
A new state law that was just passed this year caps property taxes at no more
than 1% of the assessed value has now dropped our tax burden to $3.75k.
So we started out two years ago at $9,000/year and are now down to about
$3,750/year, giving us a drop in our escrow of about $400/month.  Nice.
My HOA dues are $200/year.
Now I can refinish the basement and take advantage of the space without getting
nailed on the assessment.....
Dan

-

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
95 E300, 94 S500, 92 500SEL, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 350SDL, 91 300D, 89