I thought it had something to do with the way the government adds their tax to the total - it always calculates as $ .009 cents (plus a lot of over change).

Let's see what Wiki has to say!
73% - Crude oil
11% - Federal and state taxes
10% - Refining costs and profits
6% - Distribution and marketing

Hmmm nothing there so far - found it - you are 100% correct. here's some details -
What is 9/10 of a cent worth?

So the gas companies take an extra 9/10 of a cent for every gallon of gas we buy--what is that actually worth?

According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA), "prime suppliers" of "motor gasoline" reported sales of 372,833.5 thousand barrels sold in February 2007. Each barrel represents 42 gallons, and to determine the value of 9/10 of a cent for each gallon, we did the following calculation:

   372,834 x 1000 x 42 x .009 = $140,931,063

That means that in February 2007, gas companies collected an extra $141 million USD because of their unique pricing practices. Assuming February is a rough average for the year, that's $1.7 billion USD in additional revenue!

Have a nice weekend -
LarryT
91 300D

OilAnalysis Time?
Looking for Weber Parts or Porsche Posters?
www.youroil.net