It looks like it might be from an overly conservative reading of 49 CFR 571... Which requires a bonded reflector/lens assembly (unless some very stringent/specific on-vehicle aiming device requirements are met. It appears that the requirements MAY be incompatible with the European requirement for self levelling devices on vehicles with high intensity headlamps.

Iirc, you can sometimes get replacement lenses for the non-HID lamp housings...

The truely annoying part is that the 210 HID lamps do not use the front clear cover as a lens; it is just a windscreen/impact protector for the glass lens that is buried a little deeper inside... When it is not fogged/milked, the front cover has little to no optical effect upon the light pattern.

--
John W Reames
jwrea...@comcast.net