I think the general thinking is, an understeering car is safer than an
oversteering car, which it is, for the average driver.  Putting the better
tires on the rear, will just accentuate this, in most cases.  However, 30
years ago, such wisdom didn't play into it, they were just dumb. hee hee.

These days, I don't know of any shop that will fit just two snows.

Ed
300E