Rich Thomas <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net> writes:

> How might one wire a lamp?  A switch that is open by the voltage of
> the proper reading, which then closes if the voltage drops below
> whatever threshold?  Do we have any idea what voltages correspond to
> the various oil pressure readings on the gauge?  I guess a simple
> circuit of some kind, with an LED or something that comes on?

Oil pressure switches are readily available.  Despite some otherwise
(IMHO) questionable engineering, VW engines actually do this well.  They
have an idle pressure circuit and a high pressure circuit.  If pressure
is too low at idle, a red lamp illuminates on the dash.  If pressure is
too low above 1800 RPM or so, the red lamp blinks and a really attention
getting, raspy buzzer sounds.  You cannot ignore it.

They don't have a pressure gauge though, so if the alarm goes off you
have no means to verify whether the oil pressure is really low or the
switch is faulty (a common problem).

Allan
--
1983 300D