On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 10:26:08 -0700 Alex Chamberlain
<apchamberl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/1874125467.html
>
> In the 5th picture down, is that a normal climate control setup for
> this vintage of 300D?

It looks close to what our '72 220D/8 had.

> What's with the knobs near the stereo and the sliders above in two
> separate groups---is that the factory A/C setup with separate blowers?

The controls to the right of the key lock are for heating and
ventilation.

The upper levers with the blue arrows control air flow, the left one with
the blue arrow pointing up to the defroster vents by the windshield, the
right one with the blue arrow pointing down to the floor vents.

The round knob in the middle controls the speed of the fan.

The grille above the blue levers and round knob brings in outside air,
whose volume is adjusted by the lever just above the grille when the A/C
is not running.

When the A/C is running, some vacuum operated baffles move and block off
the outside air and the grille outputs chilled air from the A/C. The air
is moved by a different blower than when the A/C is off.

The round knob with the green arrow just above the left end of the radio
is the temperature control.

> I am not particularly familiar with /8s, but I thought they came with
> either the Evil Chrysler ACC, or vertical-slider manual controls like a
> W123 240D.

No, they did not.

Craig