Any of the fancy names on any oil ("Turbo Diesel Truck" and "Truck and SUV" are
a couple examples" are just marketing BS, ignore them.

Marshall said, and MB's qualifications confirm, that there are 3 weights of M1
considered acceptable in the 61x and 60x engines of the older cars (folks have
been saying pre-07) they are, in increasing order of desirablity (Marshalls and
my sentiment) oh and before anybody pitches a fit, yes I've tried all of them
over many thousands of miles...:
0w40
15w50
5w40

I don't like the 0w40 as its so thin cold it'll tend to leak even in a
relatively tight engine.
The 15w50 is a good (maybe even great) oil and is nice in a slightly leaky
engine as it'll tend to leak less. I like it in a largely highway driven 616
engine as 240Ds driven hard tend to consume some oil and they tend to do less
with 15w50.

I like the 5w40 the most because it makes for easier cold starts in seriously
(-10f or colder) cold temps. My '85 190D used mostly 5w40 over ~90,000 miles
and ran just great, the rest of the car fell apart around the engine. The 0w40
is probably better for extremely (-20f and colder) cold starts but even where I
live thats only 1-2 times a year and 61x engines are going to be iffy at best
starting that cold without auxiliary heat.
60x engines should still start at -20f without too much trouble and I consider
the advantage in 0w40 outweighed by the disadvantage in leakage/consumption
although I wouldn't hesitate to use it if 5w40 wasn't available.

-Curt