From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of R A Bennell
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:59 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Am I goofy?

Well, part of the issue is that I am in Winnipeg, Manitoba and there are
not all that many of these things around here. I paid a big dollar for
my 115 300D compared to what most folks south of the border would think
they are worth. So far, it has worked out fine in the sense that it has
had few problesms and I have driven it somewhere in the range of 10 to
15 K miles in about 4 summers. I may not be able to re-coup my money if
I try to sell unless I find someone as goofy as me,  but  I have put
very little more into it.

On the 300SD I can only say that I have admired the bigger car with the
turbo engine and they are, obviously all getting old. It is no doubt
becoming difficult to find any that are cream puffs and if one does,
then the price will likely reflect that. So, my odds are not going to
get any better by waiting. I don't really want and cannot afford a new
one anyway. There have not been many diesel versions sold here for a
good while until again recently (I think I am right on that) so my
choices are somewhat limited.

Travelling around further south looking at old cars might be somewhat
fun but it takes time and money and SWMBO probably would not wish to
participate.

So, you see my reasoning.

I am interested in the car but I really do not wish to put huge money
into it. A tranny would be OK but I don't want to have to do much more
than that right away. Not sure about paint - not really wanting to do
the Rustoleum with a roller routine but not going to spend $10K on paint
either.

I am told that the car runs and is currently licenced and insured so I
can test drive it without problems. The owner has recently received the
use of a company vehicle so he has more vehicles than he needs. I think
he said 5 in the driveway and 2 are new Toyota pickup trucks.

I guess I will go and look.

Randy