From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of John Reames
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:58 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Nuclear power

Where will all of this magical radioactive fuel come from?

The half life of radioactives starts the moment it is formed; for any
significant quantities to exist it would have to have a really long half
life, be produced by the breakdown of something else, or there was a LOT of
it around...

I'd like to see some quantitative numbers stuck on this.

--
John W Reames
jwrea...@comcast.net

On Aug 31, 2010, at 16:44, "Greg Fiorentino" <gf...@dslnorthwest.net> wrote:

> I am NOT a nuclear physicist, but had some advanced physics, chemistry and
> philosophy of science courses in college.  I have had a lifelong interest
in
> keeping current in scientific advances.  I have a pretty solid layman's
> understanding of how this stuff works.  I think this is a winning
technology
> from many different views.  It would be an economical, safe and secure
(not
> to mention "green") way to produce power.  It does not have the drawback
of
> producing large amounts of high half-life radioactive by-products.  It is
> not as vulnerable to conversion to a terrorist weapon.  It has the
> capability of fail-safe design in a Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactor
(LFTR).
> I have read that there is more energy in the Thorium ash from coal than in
> the coal itself.
>
> Advancing this technology to the commercial stage would be a worthwhile
> expenditure of government stimulus money.
>
> What the heck are we waiting for?
>
> Greg

Carlo