On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:35 -0700, "Greg Fiorentino" <gf...@dslnorthwest.net>
wrote:

> It's not magical, it's just a technology that has not been pursued.
> Most of our nuclear technology has developed around the weaponization
> capabilities of Uranium.  Thorium as used in the LFTR is useless for
> this purpose. Once a commitment has been made to follow the path of
> Uranium reactors, it has been difficult for many reasons to change
> gears.  But it is imperative that we do so now.

Many things that look promising in the lab exhibit engineering
difficulties when you try to scale up to commercial levels.  These sorts
of "free electricity" stories circulate every few years. Remember cold
fusion?  Maybe something will come of this, maybe not.  Best case it's
probably at least a decade away from making a significant impact.

In the early days of "conventional" (i.e. uranium-fueled) nuclear power,
people were likewise excited about the prospect of "electricity too
cheap to meter".  Didn't really work out that way... places with lots of
nuclear generation (e.g. Chicago) have some of the most expensive
electricity in the country.

Allan