Not yet. Have to go several miles to FLAPS for brake cleaner. Blew several shots of wd40 into it last night as a cleaner. not much dirt came out.

On barry's 81, the test procedure is 3 pages of pdf and includes 3 electric and 2 electro/mechanical components.

On the 83 on USA version the test procedure is 15 pages (5x) and not quite 5 x as many components. Much more complex. on the 85 us version the temp input is not from the water temp switch at the back of the head where it is fairly easy to access. Rather, it is from an oil temp switch buried somewhere down by the hard to reach oil filter, and since it is near the top of the oil filter, inaccessible from above or below with the engine in the car. They don't tell you how to get at it, that is a different job #. I am going to try to fine the other end of the wire(s)

I will try to simulate operation of the oil switch and see if that changes engine speed.and also test a vacuum switch, when i find it. if those check out, most of the other tests result in "replace the control unit" (idle speed control "computer" relay) So then it is off to see if I can find a junkyard that will let me pull the ICV and IC relay computer.

There is also an on/off test for the ICV where you feel and hear it function when the switch is turned on and off. That takes 2 people, which I don't have right now. I tend to believe the ICV is functional because of the speed at which it shut down the engine. If it was a problem with the valve modulating, there would be more chance that the idle speeds would fluctuate on different days. This does not.

there is still a possibility that the wires are hooked to the ICV backwards, as it does not have an original plug, but red individual crimp on connectors. there does not appear to be any orienting lug on the ICV, so I tend to think the it does not matter as to polarity. But that is an untested theory.

85 380SL

4.  ICV 12v test shuts the engine down immediately.  indicates ICV is ok.

Indicates ICV is not completely dead.  It might be sticky,
and unable to move smoothly as it should.  Have you cleaned
it out thoroughly with brake cleaner?

-- Jim