Lots of the folks over on Peach Parts advocate the lower radiator hose heater.
I dislike it for 2 reasons.
#1. They're usually 1000w, the MB block heater is 400w.
#2. Loads of heat will be wasted through the radiator.
With the MB block heater most of the heat will stay in the engine.

If I weren't going to use a real block heater I'd get a magnetic stick on oil
pan heater (actually I have one at camp come to think of it).
If I lived where it got seriously cold (Alaska for instance) I'd get the lower
radiator hose heater, the block heater and a battery heater. I'm told this is
commonly referred to as "The Fairbanks package"

-Curt