Thanks Tim, good information there. Our Geothermal installation required three wells, 220' each, about 20 ' apart. I asked the crew where they hit water and they just said we're not checking, just punching holes.

56' sounds like in the ballpark of my guess, but I'm on a hill.

I'm driving 2" schedule 40 galvanized pipe with a three foot well point leading the way.

Your question, "Without a drill, how are you going to get to an appropriate depth below the top of the waterline?" I'm hoping to wring some help out of this group for that answer. :>)

Thanks
Harry