On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 22:30:57 -0600 "harry watkins"
<harry...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I'll keep it in mind.  So if I understand correctly, there is not a
> pipe that goes inside my 2" pipe to bring the water topside.

If your 2" pipe can serve as a casing, and you can find a pump to fit
inside of that at the bottom of a smaller pipe that will provide the
path for the water to the surface, you can make it work. You will have to
look at the size of what is available.

> I have made a 1/2" foot valve with some brass fittings, a steel ball
> and o-ring.  It stays attached to a 1/2" hose and pumps with a churning
> motion.

Churning motion? If you can succeed at making your own, you won't be
limited by the small diameter.

> It works with a short test hose but I've yet to find a proper o-ring to
> keep it from leaking down.

Leaking down will be a problem.

> I'm at a driving standstill.  I've rigged my cement mixer to handle the
> driving chore and it broke.  I can hear it working from all around the
> house while doing other things, rumble, rumble, rattle, rattle then
> thump.  I get 18 thumps per minute.

Clever idea. I thought that beating on the end of a pipe with a sledge
hammer would get old really fast.

> I was upstairs when Carolyn said. "I don't hear your thing".  I went
> down the elevator to a smell of rubber burning and found the belt
> melted and stuck to the motor pulley.  I just unplugged it and left it
> for tomorrow.  I bought this sears mixer in 1974 and it's already
> giving trouble.

What's the world coming to, when you can't buy quality equipment any more!
:-).

Craig