I find that hard to believe, 99% sure I ordered mine from him last time. On
a side note, my new setup is using teflon/pvc bushings or the like....
-Rolf

On 11/11/2010 02:07 PM, Gerry Archer wrote:
Someone at Rustys told me they didn't.  Anyway, 20 years isn't long
enough for this list.  20 years from now I don't want to have to take it
apart and put in a new bushing.
Gerry....Age 81
From: "Dieselhead" <126die...@gmail.com>
Rusty has the plastic bushings.  they generally last 15-20 years.
My wife complained about the '83 240D shifting poorly.  The problem
turned out to be the shifter mechanism which had a plastic "spacer"
that was very worn.  I tried to buy a used mechanism or repair parts,
both without success; so I redesigned the mechanism using two springs,
a cross bar, and a (home made) brass spacer instead of a plastic
spacer.  The springs take up the wear, keeping the gear selectors in
the correct positions.  The car shifts smoothly now.
Gerry Archer
'83 240D and 300D
From: "Dieselhead" <126die...@gmail.com>
I've never been able to find a 123 or 124 manual trans when I had
jingies to spend, but the older MBs with real transmissions shifted
very nicely, and those are all getrags

I can't imagine that the 123/124 shifts that badly.

That's surprising, as the one in the '84 190D is very nice. Sounds
more like
an old VW or Porsche shifter!

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Allan Streib <str...@cs.indiana.edu>
wrote:

 Alex Chamberlain <apchamberl...@gmail.com> writes:

> The car magazines of the time weren't happy with the ergonomics
of the
> stick-shift 300E either.  IIRC the shifter was described as
"numb" and
> "rubbery"

 The description I've heard of the shifter is "broomstick in a
bucket of
 rocks"

 Allan
 ----