TimothyPilgrim wrote:
I just had a thought. I've read that a ball bearing can be used to
block the EGR tube, and one guy used a small metal disc. Since I have
no ball bearings around, believe it or not, would something else work?
I'm thinking a tin foil cap or some aluminum tape?

The vacuum line CAN be occluded with a BB or ball bearing. I don't like that fix. I remove the vacuum line and plug the lead toward the vacuum source with a golf tee (be sure IT doesn't leak - some cheap ones DO). As to the port where the EGR connects, it can be blocked with a plate IF the EGR won't close. If the EGR closes, there is NO need to block the port. If you feel better about blocking it anyway - do it...............

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi