Years ago, I found the same type piece of plastic protruding from the same hole in the center filter tube of one of my MB's; don't remember which one; I pulled it out; 'never noticed anything else related to it.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dillon, Meade M CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-ATLANTIC,53310" <meade.m.dil...@navy.mil>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:47 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Oil Filter Cover metal Tube ?

I think your theory of a plastic remnant from the filter getting sucked up to the hole on the outside of the tube and then partially sucked into the tube is correct.

I'll bet that when you pulled on it, you got it all out. Whatever is left will flow back to the pan, and then either settle out and leave with the next oil change or get sucked up by the pump, and filtered by the oil filter, and then taken out.

Worst case would be clogging of the oil jets which cool the pistons, which would probably result in melted piston syndrome.

Maybe you can blow air through the small hole, or force oil through, and then catch what comes out the bottom and sample for plastic?

-Max