Replacing all the wiring harnesses on my 94 S350 was <$400. If you are used to
pricing you typically see on parts for a 240 (the last 240 I bought cost me
$157 for the whole running car), then yes they are expensive but then it's my
favorite "money pit". The S600s are to be avoided at any cost. A local guy here
learned that the hard way and I learned it from him before I bought one. If you
are concerned about the electronics, then get a 98 or 99 that has a standard
ODBII port. You can debug those with a Harbor Freight code reader. The only
people I know who complain about W140's are those who have not owned them or
who own ones that are so far gone they should scrapped. It's a sweet ride!

If you are unfortunate enough to be stuck with a 99 S500 with ESP, I'll take it
off you hands for $500 :-)

-Dave Walton