I looked into it a few months ago.  I'd suggest consulting with a real-estate
attorney, but the gist of it is that the buyer gives you a small or no
down-payment, and starts making payments on a standard amortization (principal
and interest) schedule.  If they default, you evict them and keep the payments
they have made as rent.  Otherwise the idea is that at some point they
refinance into a conventional mortgage, and whatever principal they have
already paid to you reduces the amount they need to finance.

You would normally write the contract with a balloon payment after 3 - 5 years,
so that you can get your equity out by some known date.  Contract sales are a
legitimate way to buy/sell real-estate, but I'd be inclined to have a lawyer
set it up.  It should be mostly boilerplate for a real-estate lawyer and not
too expensive.

If you yourself have a mortgage on the property, it gets more complicated.  On
almost all mortgages, a contract sale will trigger the "due-on-sale" clause,
meaning the mortgage holder *could* call your mortgage.  They might not, and
probably wouldn't if the loan is in good standing and the rate is at or above
the current prevailing rate.  But you have that sword of damocles hanging over
you.

Allan