#1 makes sense.  #2 has too many risks, IMHO.

Long story short, we met with the realtor last night and the whole thing was
really sketchy.  The potential buyer has plenty of cash, but just finished a
divorce that has her holding the paper on a condo.  She wants to sell the condo
to her Mom, who is currently living there and making the payments, but until it
is free an clear she won't qualify for a mortgage large enough for a home such
as ours.

The comment by her realtor (who has purportedly "done this" before) that really
made the red flags shoot up was, "You don't have to record the deed so your
mortgage company doesn't know about it."

We immediately ended the conversation at that point and showed her the door.
Certainly some ethical issues there.

Thanks for the info everyone.  It has been quite helpful.  I need to check our
mortgage to see if we have a due on sale clause - knowing our mortgage holder I
am betting it's there.

Dan