Greg Fiorentino wrote:
<<...it's an incentive for the cops themselves to write the tickets, as they
get paid overtime to sit comfortably in court.>>

I'm sure their bosses don't like it when they have a high rate of spending
time in court and losing,  so they can't do this too often or things will
not go well for them.

I went to see the chief once in a small town where I received a particularly
BS ticket.  I explained the situation, and he nodded, but didn't make any
sort of commitment.  I think he made sure that the cop would not appear, and
as a result the case was dismissed.

Greg

Around here, civil infractions are a 50% doubt matter, so if it was written as part of a crash report you might beat it, but if a professional witness stands up in court and says 'yep, I saw it', there's no force on earth that's going to save you from the fine in my county. The cops who write BS tickets get the OT, and they get convictions. I just make sure the BS ticket takes up 2 hours of a district court's time to get even with the system for it.

The last time I got a ticket, the prosecuting attorney wanted a pre trial conference to settle with me out of court. His opening line was something along the lines of 'looking at your record, I don't see any basis for this charge'. I think he knew the previous trial took two hours, they had to change prosecuting attorneys in the middle of the trial because the first one had to be in another trial and mine wasn't over yet.

There was a chap in the Detroit area who had a much higher than normal rate of court hearings for his traffic tickets. He'd write people for running stop signs when they didn't. They'd get mad, fight it, lose, get madder, and pay it. After a couple of years of this, somebody in the command structure noticed he was making $20k a year for court appearances on stop sign tickets where he was the only one who thought the driver ran the stop sign. Then the SHTF.

Mitch.