Wretched POS!  My wife came to pick me up at lunch, and just before
she got there she called me saying there were banging noises coming
from the car.  She rolled up, and there was steam rising from the
hood.  I popped it and had a look, and washer tank was boiling.
Weird!  I'd guessed that the washer tank thermostat had failed open,
and the car was boiling off the fluid.  The engine was hotter than
normal, but not in the danger zone.  (Odd, in winter.)  The radiator
was cool to cold.  We got in and went a block or so to lunch.  (Evil
intersection, hate it on foot.)  The banging noises were coming from
the console.  While eating I thought about it, nothing added up.
Afterwards I popped the hood and had another look.  I opened the
coolant reservoir, and what I thought was a visible level was just a
stain in the tank, it was empty.  1.5 gallons of water into reservoir
later and it's full.  Low coolant!  Where did it all go?  Why did not
the low coolant light come on?

Obviously the car lost its coolant, somehow, and gotten low to the
point that radiator flow was disrupted.  Enough was left to carry heat
to the washer tank, which was boiling off, and coolant was boiling in
the heater core.  Very much not good.  Perhaps the engine was not
damaged, or perhaps it _was_ already damaged and that's what
started this?

At least the suspension was still OK.

-- Jim