Peter,

The last time I had this happen to me, it was a problem with the RAM.
I had fits trying to figure it out. I finally removed the RAM, put it in an
Ubuntu machine one stick at a time
(on the boot up screen for Ubuntu there is a memtest option) and found the
offending memory.
Reminds me, I have yet to send it back for replacement. If you can swap in some
known good
memory, that would be the easiest check for that, I think.

I used Windows for years, and was hesitant to make the switch to Linux. The
final straw
was a hard drive problem that never showed up under Windows, but when I booted
to a live Ubuntu CD
it immediately told me of impending HDD failure.

The original motherboard is probably still good, the shutdowns were caused by
the memory, failing hard drive,
or video card. Ubuntu (or other variations of Linux I'm sure) can be helpful
when trying to identify
hardware problems. It is also helpful when you have enough known good parts to
build another machine.

Swapping parts to find the offending one is time consuming, but may be your
only option.

PS. Hardware problems suck, and they suck even more with windoze.
Rick