On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 6:05 AM, Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> That amazes me... The town I live in is pushing 250 years old, the house I
> live in is 70+ years old
>surrounded by houses that are 100+, its not a "new" area and there aren't any
>developments
>particularly nearby. Population wise the town is tiny at 5,000 residents but
>everybody
>has the option of cable tv and internet and most have the option of DSL which
>is what I have.
>In fact I don't know of ANYBODY thats stuck with dialup in New England
>anymore. I get
>pretty good 3G service most everywhere too.

It's a very, very different situation the farther west you go, as Mao
and Jim C have intimated---outer suburbs and rural areas are very
poorly served by broadband.  Can you get broadband at your cabin,
Curt?  That's a fairer comparison.

I live 30 miles from one of the biggest cities in the Pacific
Northwest (Portland) and the best broadband I can get is a spotty 1
Mbps DSL connection.  I have line of sight to a cell tower about two
miles away, so I can reliably get 3G on my phone, but that's no
faster.   Sprint and Verizon both say they'll be offering 4G via that
tower Real Soon Now, but I'll believe it when I see it.

There is good 4G coverage in Portland proper via Clear, and I can
actually see their towers from my house through binoculars on a clear
day.  I've thought about getting one of their USB modems and rigging
up some kind of huge external antenna, but I don't know if that would
be worth the effort.   (Hey, list EEs: RF signal strength decreases
proportional to the square of distance, right?)

Alex