From: Mitch Haley <m...@voyager.net>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Fri, February 25, 2011 11:45:05 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] (SPAM?) 1983 300D

Peter Hertzing wrote:
> I'm a little disappointed in what I hearing about mileage.  The vacum and
> other issues aren't really any different then what I have delt with in my
> gasser but I was hoping to get in the nieghborhood of 28 - 30 MPG.  I have a
> 90 mile round trip communte with some rolling hills but all at 55 or a
> little more MPH.

If I drive my W116 600 miles at 65-80mph, I get 28mpg. That includes crossing
every mountain between Georgia and Michigan. 1983 300D has a smaller chassis
and
the same gearing, along with a different camshaft. 30mpg  might be possible at
55 with careful driving, few stops, and perfect tuning. OTOH, if you get a dog,
25mpg is possible too.

Mitch.